Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Eradicating Hunger Day

The United Nations passed a resolution that mandates the observance of Eradicating Hunger Day and it has been adopted by all nations. Through the use of social media, every celebration for the dining experience needs to include guests from other parts of the world--another continent. This biannual celebration also need to coincide with the Winter and Summer Solstice.

My role as a student designer is to design a dining space to commemorate this important event. The challenge for me will be to create a single space, which needs to accommodate a Winter and a Summer Solstice dining experience. Other considerations during my design process will include the lighting, the temperature, the availability of natural resources without being wasteful. It is very important for me not to waste resources while creating the dining space.

My vision for the my dining space is open, minimal, and incorporates natural elements. My minimalistic concept for my dining space is to preserve as much natural resources as possible to eradicate hunger. My space will accommodate six diners. It will also house a sideboard which will be used to display food and as a serving station.

My own cultural background will also be incorporated into my design scheme. I will incorporate the use of naturally hand-made Turkish carpet, tall windows which can be closed off for the Winter Solstice to preserve energy and opened for the Summer Solstice. The sources for my lighting will be outside natural light, candles, and one chandelier. My table is a rectangular shape in order to provide a measure formality to the event.

My diners are family members who will be flying in from England, Germany, Greece, and Turkey. The food will be Turkish fusion cuisine influenced by the location of my family member. The food will be hand delivered to provide another measure of formality and comfort to the diners.

Lastly, the dining space will have a monitor to facilitate the use of social media, Skype. I also want to make sure that my diners are not interrupted while they are eating in order to communicate with other family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment